1 head of cavolo nero (black-leaf kale)
¼ a head of Savoy cabbage
1 bunch of Swiss chard
2 celery stalks
300 grams (approx. 10.6 ounces) of cannellini (white beans)
2 peeled plum tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
250 grams (approx. 8.8 ounces) of stale white Italian bread
- Pre-soak the beans for about 8 hours. Boil them in two quarts of water.
- In another pot, sauté the sliced onions in olive oil. Slowly add all of the other vegetables, chopped into large chunks. Let them slowly soften for about 10 minutes.
- Add the water leftover from cooking the beans and half of the beans. Add the other half after pureeing them. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat for about two hours.
- At this stage you have a basic minestrone, you can eat some of the soup as it is
- The nest day add the sliced bread, stir well and let it boil for ten more minutes. Let it stand. Serve in earthenware bowls.
- Pour in a little genuine Tuscan extra virgin olive oil with a full, fruity flavour.