800 g (1 ¾ lb) pumpkin
50 g (2 oz.) amaretti (macaroons)
100 gm (3 ½ oz) mostarda di Cremona (Sweet fruit pickle) Optional
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and black pepper
2 oz chopped walnuts
For the pasta
A 3 egg quantity of fresh pasta (see recipe)
1. Slice the pumpkin and bake in a hot oven for approx. 20 minutes. Remove the skin when cool enough to handle.
- Press the pumpkin through a fine sieve with the back of a wooden spoon or process in a blender or food processor.
- Crush the amaretti and mix with the mostarda which has been finely chopped. Add 2 tbsp grated Parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Have a sheet of pasta ready; and place teaspoons of the mixture on the pasta leaving space. Place another sheet of pasta over the top. Press carefully round each mound of pumpkin mix to exclude any air pockets. Cut into squares.
- Cook in boiling salted water for about two minutes.
- The sauce is very simple. Just melt some butter in a pan, add the chopped walnuts and maybe a little parsley. Pour this over the pasta.
Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.