Biscuits from the Cimini hills around Viterbo
3 Egg Whites
300 g / 10 oz sugar
500 g / 1 lb 2 oz. shelled hazelnuts, toasted
1 tablespoon of flour
Heat the oven to 190° C; 375° F
- Whisk the egg whites adding the sugar slowly as you beat. (This is best done in a food mixer like Kitchen Aid).
- Rub off any of the loose skins and chop the hazelnuts; some quite finely and the rest roughly to give some bite to the biscuits.
- Add the hazelnuts to the egg whites followed by the flour.
- If you wish you can add the grated rind of a lemon or a few drops of vanilla essence
- Grease and line some baking sheets, put teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking sheet, leave some space between the biscuits to allow them to spread.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven until they are golden (10 – 15 minutes)